Research to Enhance Patient Care
From our laboratories to the bedside, research is an essential part of Maine Medical Center’s mission. Our curiosity and determination are opening new doors in the understanding of disease processes that ultimately develop into better diagnostics and treatments, offering new hope to patients.
Maine Medical Center Research Institute (MMCRI) is already one of the most innovative research organizations in the nation. By focusing on the future, and with philanthropic support, we can position ourselves to enhance the continuum of research to benefit patients throughout our region.
Research has its benefits
Now more than ever, it’s important that we acknowledge the crucial role that research plays within the field of health care. The research happening every day at Maine Medical Center Research Institute is making MMC a better hospital and improving Maine’s economy by:
- Introducing new drugs, devices, and treatments to our patients before they are widely available
- Providing participation in national clinical trials so patients can stay in the state to access them
- Attracting some of the brightest and best-trained physicians and scientists
- Sustaining Maine Medical Center’s role as a leader in healthcare quality and innovation
- Nourishing Maine’s growing biomedical and biotechnology economy and creating high-quality jobs
Research is a tradition at Maine Medical Center
For more than 150 years, biomedical discovery has played an increasingly important role in the mission of Maine Medical Center. Federally-funded research has taken place at Maine Medical Center since the mid 1950’s and set the stage for early lifesaving innovations such as open-heart surgery and dialysis. The hospital’s long-term commitment to research has helped make us one of the finest hospitals in the nation.
By raising private gifts to supplement federal/state grants and other revenue, our scientists and physicians can continue to work together to solve our most challenging medical issues.
To support the research of world-class scientists – who are moving closer to improving the health of our communities and solving some of their most pressing medical issues including cancer, heart disease, and other medical conditions – please contact us today.